Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Sports Experience

I care less about sports now than I used to. I care a lot less about college sports. In fact, the Chiefs have taken over as my favorite team over the Cornhuskers. I think the move to the Big Ten was a big part of that. I've seen the Chiefs play the Raiders, Broncos, and Chargers more than I've ever seen toe Huskers play Northwestern, Minnesota, or Ohio State. I care more that the Chiefs beat their foes than I do the Big Red. Another part of it has to be that I actually get to go to Chiefs games. I also realized that I like the events surrounding the games more than the games themselves. Or maybe being there really does add to the excitement. I've heard a lot of people claim that the price of an hd tv and directv far outweighs the cost of season tickets as far as an experience goes. I doubt this. I don't think you can recreate the feel of a tailgate at Arrowhead by grilling out in your back yard with friends. Nothing comes close. This is why I question how much I love sports. Is it the game, or the experience?

1 comment: