Thursday, January 5, 2012

Petitions

So, in order to run as an independent candidate, I have to get 4502 signatures from registered voters in the 4th congressional district by July. That's 2% of the total voters in the 2010 election. I'm wondering what the best way to go about this is. I could post up outside of walmarts and ask for signatures. Or I could go door. Maybe I'll have to search out volunteers to help me get signatures throughout the district. Better start solidifying my message and getting the website up so the volunteers know who they are backing. When I realized there would be petitioning involved, I thought about not running but 4502 isn't a bad number. I also have to remember that I don't have to do this alone. I just need people wo agree with my vision to help me out. At least I'm not asking them for money. Ok. Goals are to put together a mission statement. Get a web template and post basic site. Activate Twitter account. Explore support from both dems and republicans via Facebook. Oh, put Facebook page together. Maybe come up with a petitioning schedule. I think that's enough for now. I'll re-evaluate when I get some of this done.


Post wipe note- Apparently, the State of Missouri tries to keep independent candidates off the ballot by unreasonable random sample requirements. According to RSMo Chapter 115, "If the random sample verification establishes that the number of valid signatures total more than one hundred five percent of the number of qualified voters needed to find the petition sufficient, the petition shall be deemed to qualify in that district." That means that 105% of the randomly sampled signatures must be valid before an independent candidate will be allowed without a full audit of signatures. How does one make it so 105% of signatures are valid? Of course, if your random sample falls below 95%, your petition is outright rejected. Looks like the random sampling is used exclusively to prevent candidates from getting on the ballot.

No comments:

Post a Comment